Self-care on campus

Lisa Sanphillippo, Writer

It’s almost the end of the spring semester and, of course, I decided to take on seven extra tasks that are all due in May. I’ve got a speech coming up and a math test and my work is stupid right now and I’ve got to decide which photo, and none of them seem very good, to show in photography class…gaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!
I’m sure you have felt this, if not in the last few weeks, at least at some point in your life. I’ve been thinking a lot about self-care, or the lack thereof, and its connection to the ability to manage stress.
I have made some haphazard attempts to meditate, drink more water, exercise or eat healthy and regularly, but the self-care method that has been most successful and offers immediate stress relief is getting a $5, 30-minute massage. And it’s easy, provided you have $5.
What? Is that even possible? Yes, though, the massage is performed by a chair. While it may not be as responsive as a person, it is cheap, and the view is amazing. I’m talking about the massage chairs on the top floor of the SUB, right here on campus. Did you even know they were here? I didn’t until recently.
I noticed them while sitting in the lobby space by the ASLCSC offices. The large leather recliners face a large picture window looking out to a view of trees, paths, people, and sky. I put in my money, put some relaxing music in my ears and let the chair do its thing. I’ve done this twice in as many weeks now.
After the massage, I feel a little more grounded, a little more able to adapt and bend to challenges rather than resist them. Not gonna lie, I’ll probably do it again this week. Maybe twice.
What self-care are you practicing? What can you do to help yourself cope with stress? I hope we all do whatever we need to get through this academic year successfully with a healthy mental outlook. But, seriously, massages help.