No success without sacrifice: A student’s journey

Back to Article
Back to Article

Adam Galliano

When I think about success, I always take into consideration sacrifice because to me they are often one in the same.
Whether it be sacrificing your money to purchase items that will ultimately lead to a betterment in life, or giving your time and energy to complete whatever task is in front of you, sometimes it takes considerable amounts of both to get what you desire.
I took a roundabout way to get to where I am today in my professional and personal life. I first attended college a few years after completing high school. I had been working odd jobs from construction to restaurant work and had not really found my niche yet. College became an opportunity for me to focus on my future rather than on my present situation, or at least that is how I though it would be.
After two semesters, I decided that the college way of life was not for me. It wasn’t the classes or the schedule because I did enjoy both, and it certainly was not the instructors and my classmates because I made many great connections that I still maintain today.
In all honesty, I just disliked being broke, and during that year of school it was a constant struggle for me to keep myself fed. So, I opted to return to the working world and ultimately began a journey that spanned almost 15 years where I became a skilled carpenter.
I had chosen to sacrifice my education for employment and a paycheck. I earned a great deal of money during this time, and although I feel like I had accomplished much, as I grew older (and not than being comfortable, and as an educator of comfort zones, I know all too well the results that occur when we stay in our comfort zones.
To grow as human beings, we need to leave the normal, everyday lifestyles that we live in to avoid complacency. And no this is not always a bad thing because complacency and routine can be safe, and being secure is comfortable. The only problem with this is that we do not grow and evolve when we are in these comfort zones. I believe it is the natural tendency for humans to want to grow and evolve, to expand our knowledge and experiences and to “broaden our horizons,” to use a common phrase.
While this in theory sounds great, sometimes the problem with implementing these changes becomes difficult without sacrifice, and I realized that I would have to sacrifice to get what I wanted to achieve my goals and to grow as a person. So LCSC became my destination.
As a family, we discussed relocating to Lewiston from Southern Idaho, and we worked hard to make this happen, but it seemed that obstacles occurred every step of the way. The house that we had lined up fell through at the last minute. We could not locate a suitable replacement. Our jobs in the Twin Falls area made changes that became more difficult to leave behind and things kept happening that impeded me from making the move to Lewiston. While these obstacles happened, this did not change the fact I was enrolled at LCSC, and I had no intention of ending my “best laid plans.” So, I did what any self-sufficient and stubborn adult would do: I decided to camp.
I essentially left my family behind in Twin Falls, and I relocated to Lewiston with my camping gear and “moved in” to Hell’s Gate State Park. For 15 weeks I camped, living in my tent with the barest of essentials and without the creature comforts of home (mostly). As Hell’s Gate has basic facilities like showers and restrooms, as well as power, I did keep my hygiene and physical well being up to par. I attended my classes and really spent the rest of my time on a solo mission to succeed. I would drive back home on the weekends when I could, clocking over 14,000 miles on my car during the fall 2018 semester. I’d rather not say how much I spent in fuel, but will say I’m glad I have a gas saving car.
I completed the semester and returned to Twin Falls. I took this current semester to complete my bachelor’s and am slated to graduate in May. I’ll end up with a 3.75 GPA and will graduate with my degree in humanities. I do feel like I accomplished a great deal here. I have made further lasting connections in Lewiston. The instructors and classmates I connected with were amazing. I feel so fortunate to have been treated so well. I see my future as an open door, and I owe a great deal of this feeling to my time at LCSC and in Lewiston, which was a life changing and incredible experience all around.
It all came down to sacrifice. I sacrificed my lifestyle to complete my degree. I sacrificed my money and my time. I sacrificed the needs of my family to complete this part of my life. I sacrificed my “comfort zone” to achieve my goals.
People often ask me how I could have spent 15 weeks living in a tent and driving so many miles to attend school. They ask what I felt I would achieve by making these sacrifices. Most of the time I do not know how to respond to this, or rather, I respond in simple terms. To succeed, sometimes you must make sacrifices, and I made these choices in order to grow as a person and a father. I was comfortable and safe and secure, but I was not growing. We do not grow unless we get out of our comfort zones, and I did what I had to do to grow.
In closing, if I could share one piece of advice with any person who is on the fence with taking risks in life, who may be fearful of the obstacles at hand and the challenges they may face, whatever they may be, it would be this: Take that first step or choose to act on that hard decision if it will better you in the long run. Anything good in life will almost always take time and hard work to achieve, and when you do achieve it, you will appreciate that success all the more. Escape your comfort zones, get out of the normal everyday routine and overcome obstacles in your way. And if it takes a bit of sacrifice to achieve your goals, then give it away freely without a second thought.