Asking for a friend: who is Allie Powell?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Allie Powell, Interviewee

Where are you from? Lewiston, ID.
What was your major or degree program? My major was English, with an emphasis in Publishing Arts. I did also get a minor in Business Administration.
When did you graduate, and how did that moment feel, walking across the stage or receiving your diploma? I graduated in three years, starting my program in August 2015 and finishing in May of 2018. Graduating was one of the most satisfying moments of my life. I had worked so hard to get to where I was, finishing my program in three years while also working and spending time with my family and friends. I also felt an emotion I wasn’t planning on feeling… sadness. I had met some of the most interesting, intelligent and lovely people I had ever met in my life. This includes but is not limited to my girls Jordyn Marcroft, Billye Dotson and Ellie Reiboldt.
Were there particular programs on campus, professors, or staff who helped you in your quest? I can honestly say that all of my courses and professors gave me a sense of confidence in myself or my ability to overcome my shortcomings. My classes with Jennifer Anderson, in particular, were always inspiring. Harold Crook also saw something in me and asked me to speak to the Idaho Board of Education about Open Educational Resources, which was one of the most nerve-racking experiences of my life, but pushed me out of my comfort zone. I enjoyed my time as an editor of the Talking River immensely. Kevin Goodan and my fellow editors were so passionate about their work and had such a love for poetry and prose. Two of my professors from LCSC were kind enough to write letters of recommendations for my law school application, and I’m so thankful for their active support even a year after graduation.
What was your family’s reaction to your desired career (or short-term plans)? How have they been supportive? My parents know me better than I know myself. I was so excited to graduate from LCSC and wasn’t sure that I would be going back to school right away. My dad knew better and said I would be back in school in a year.. he was right. When I started thinking about law school, my parents and step-parents could not have been more supportive. I am so lucky to have them in my corner.
Share a memorable moment from your LCSC experience that is imprinted in your mind: My favorite memory at LCSC happened my senior year on the Friday before spring break. We had our Talking River class that day, but between the fact that it was a Friday and almost spring break, campus was pretty empty. We didn’t have much to do in class because we were ahead of schedule in production of the new issue (which didn’t usually happen), so my friends and I decided we would go grab some coffee. We told Kevin Goodan (then the faculty advisor) that we would get him a coffee as well and took his order. We proceeded to drive to Starbucks and get coffee. About 30 minutes later, we show back up at the library and hand Kevin his coffee. He was so confused and said, “When you said you were going to go get coffee I assumed you meant at Doks and not that you were driving to Starbucks.” I don’t think anyone else in that class would have gotten away with it, but we always worked so hard for him, and he knew that we would never let work go undone. We laughed so hard. Maybe it was a “you-had-to-be-there” moment, but it was just a perfect day surrounded by my favorite people in my favorite class. I enjoyed Talking River so much that it never bothered me to have that class on Friday mornings.
If you could recommend one thing to an incoming student, what would it be? I would recommend getting involved in campus life early on. I can’t even imagine all of the memories and friends I would have made if I would have put myself out there my first year.