Warrior cross country changes conferences for 2020

LCSC.edu

Ciera Bailey, Reporter

The Warrior Cross Country team of Lewis-Clark State College will be changing conferences in 2020 from the Frontier conference to the Cascade Conference. The change is going to create new challenges for the Warriors.
College administrators say the move “presents several potential advantages including improvements to sports alignment, traveling, scheduling and recruitment.” Lewis-Clark State College president Cynthia Pemberton agreed that “this change will put our student-athletes in an even better position to excel both on the court and in the classroom.”
This season, the men’s and women’s teams have been getting stronger in every race, and their goal is to win Frontier Conference and rank in the top 10 at nationals to leave a strong legacy in their last season in the conference.
The men are currently ranked 9th in the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) division. In the past two races, the men took 1st at Billings, Mont., on Sept. 13 and 14 at Eastern Washington University on Aug. 31.
The ladies are currently ranked 13th in the NAIA division. In the past two races, the women took 3rd at Billings, Mont., and 5th at Eastern Washington University.
“It will be harder for us next year in the new conference because the races will be more competitive, but making it to nationals in the Cascade conference will make all the hard work and training worth it,” said Maja Plaznik, a sophomore runner for the Lady Warriors.
Rylee Brown, a sophomore, also agrees that “there will be new challenges for both men and women next year. Plus, we are all excited to race against new teams and try out some new courses.”
The next race for the Warriors will be at their home meet at the new Lewiston High School grounds on Oct. 12.