Will college athletes in Idaho be paid in the near future?

Sam Harrison, Writer

The topic of paying college athletes has been highly debated over the years.
Recently, California passed a bill allowing athletes attending colleges to hire agents and make endorsement deals.

This was the first step made in California to allow student athletes to become “paid.” Although the bill was just passed recently, according to The New York Times, it will not come into effect until the year 2023.

The bill may have an influence on other states to pass a similar if not exact bill. Paying college athletes has been against NCAA rules for a long time, and any sort of payment that an athlete receives is considered prohibited. But this step made by California changes the view of the topic entirely.
In an interview with an LC Volleyball player, Libero Gionni Brown, she said that she does believe college athletes should be paid.

Brown believes athletes should be paid because “the time and effort we put in for the sport, at the end of the day we only get a win or loss. It’s basically a job for us when we’re not doing homework or at school, we’re at practice or doing something related to our sport.”

This is a common problem for athletes due to the time spent working on the sport.

Many athletes have little to no time to work outside of their schoolwork and practice time.

In a separate interview, Kyle Ferguson, an instructor of Communications Arts at LCSC and an Ex-Athletic Director of San Diego Christian, said that paying college athletes through endorsement deals would be beneficial.

He said that “It gives every athlete an opportunity to make money depending on the sport that athlete plays.”

Athletes of all sports have the opportunity to make endorsement deals and hire agents to help support those deals.

Ferguson said, “The marketing opportunities would be better in California, and it may affect the recruiting of other states aside from California. If a quarterback had been offered to play at Nebraska and USC, he may choose USC due to the ability to market himself.”

The changes in locations where players choose to play may be affected by this bill being passed.

Colleges now must not only compete on the field, but have to fight to recruit the athletes coming in.