LCSC’s annual “Zombie Tag” editorial

Alyssa Smith, Writer

Every year in October the Warrior Entertainment Board puts on a campus wide Humans vs Zombies game that lasts for an entire week.

There are missions for both humans and zombies that keep everyone engaged and happy. The goal is to survive the entire week as a human. However, it isn’t very much of a game if no one plays.

To set the background for my extreme saltiness, this is my first year at LCSC. Last year I toured the campus the week after the annual Humans vs Zombies game. I heard stories of zombies hiding in trees to chase humans to dinner, and I read about it in The Pathfinder. I decided then that I would play if I decided to go to LCSC.

I was extremely excited a year ago, imagine my excitement when we started the game Sunday the 13th of October.

I walked in the parking lots to classes to avoid zombies. I planned my routes and times I would go to dinner. I even went and bought the best Nerf gun I could for ten dollars. I was high on adrenaline all day walking to my classes, always on edge with my Nerf gun locked and loaded.

Little did I know that there were no zombies at all. There were hardly any students playing in fact.
Out of the 40 students who signed up, you would think that they would be excited and playing. Nope. The game died out by Tuesday night. I’m not even sure if it even lasted a full 24 hours.

However, there was a tiny ray of hope for the game to survive. WEB rebooted the game Wednesday with only those who expressed that they wanted to keep playing.

A new Patient Zero was chosen, and once again the excitement was sparked. The game lived on, some humans were turned into zombies, but by Monday the game was once again dead along with my hopes and dreams of playing a weeklong zombie game. I did not even have the chance to shoot my Nerf gun once.

I am an extremely competitive person in any game or activity I participate in. So, you can understand my disappointment when the game turned out to be a dud.

I am quite disappointed that the game didn’t turn out as expected. Especially since I have been excited about this since last October when I toured the campus.

I understand students have midterms and other commitments that are more important. To work around this conflict the game should be held on a week that will encourage more students to participate and encounter less conflicts.

Homecoming week is also a difficult week to involve people in this game because then it will limit the participation at the homecoming events. The optimum time for this game may be before Homecoming and midterms at the beginning of October.

Despite the various commitments and responsibilities, I encourage anyone who is even remotely interested in this game to consider playing next year.

It is only successful if there is participation.

As for me and my Nerf gun, we will be patiently waiting for next year.