Asking for a friend: who is JoAnn Gilpin?

Staff, Staff Writer

Who: JoAnn Gilpin
What: Director of Campus Security and Emergency Preparedness
Where: MLH 110

Why care about campus security and emergency preparedness?

LC State is our college and our campus. Everyone here plays a role in keeping it a safe place to live, work, and learn. Our Security team is on campus 24 hours a day – 7 days a week working diligently to help keep our community safe. We need the help of our campus community though, to report criminal activity or something that just doesn’t seem right. Emergency preparedness is also important to the safety of our campus. An emergency can happen at any time, and it is up to each individual to be as prepared as possible.

Get to know a bit more about JoAnn Gilpin:

Where are you from?

I grew up in Payette and raised my two daughters in New Plymouth. Currently I live near Anatone with my husband, Ray, and two dogs, Toby (Great Pyrenees) and Star (mixed).

What did you want to be when you grew up?

When I was a kid, I had no idea what I wanted to be when I grew up. When I started college at 24, I still had no idea. It wasn’t until I started working in the campus security field that I found my passion for teaching students life lessons outside of the classroom while striving to provide a safe learning environment.

Last show you binged?

The last show I binged was “The Good Doctor.” I like that the show portrays how one individual who believes in someone’s value and talents can help overcome discrimination based on what others consider social norms. It’s easy to focus on someone’s perceived weaknesses and discount the contribution they can and do make. If we can give everyone the opportunity to shine regardless of their real or perceived limitations, while allowing for mistakes and learning from those mistakes, we may be very surprised at how much they can help us and shape our lives.

Last cool gift you gave or received?

My granddaughter was born the day after Christmas last year. That was a pretty cool gift.

A college class that turned out to be surprisingly helpful?

My first sociology class changed my life. My instructor used a cake to explain social stratification. She gave nearly all of the cake to two or three people in the class. I ended up with just a sliver, and I was hooked. I went on to get my B.A. in anthropology and sociology.

A blogger or podcast you follow or enjoy?

My favorite podcast is Retropod. It is a Washington Post podcast highlighting forgotten history. I’m a bit of a history buff, and I enjoy hearing about small forgotten events that have shaped our present.
A book, poem, or short story that impacted you ?

I enjoy the Sherlock Holmes series. Through all of his quirks and flaws, Sherlock Holmes is an absolute genius and reminds us that it really is all about the small stuff.

A favorite spot in the outdoors or vacation spot?

I love Warren, Idaho. It is about an hour and a half drive north of McCall on Warren Wagon Road. Just outside of town are dozens of small ponds with great brook trout fishing and plenty of camping spots. The small bar/diner in town is a fantastic experience. On July 4, the town holds a potluck, bonfire and fireworks just outside the bar followed by karaoke/dance in the old dance hall. Everyone is welcome from locals to people who are driving through and just happen to stop. It’s like stepping back into time.

Die-hard fan of what?

Anything chocolate.

A talent you always wished you had?

I’ve always wished that I was more artistic. I enjoy art and am always amazed at how creative people are.

A great piece of advice given to you?

Pick your battles. It was a piece of advice given to me by my mother as I was raising my daughters but fits into everyday life. Sometimes it’s just not worth the fight if the kids want to go to school in a green shirt and purple pajama pants, unless of course it’s picture day.

Your advice to students or those interested in the law enforcement field?

My advice would be to stay out of trouble, finish college, stay in good physical shape and take advantage of every opportunity to network with law enforcement officers and administrators. Don’t be afraid to make appointments with law enforcement officers and administrators (including federal agents, police chiefs and county sheriffs) to talk to them about their career path and get advice. It’s a great way to explore your own career goals and gain important connections in the law enforcement field.