Six ways to prevent COVID-19

Mikayla Hartley, Staff Writer

Many may know about the recent pandemic COVID-19 (also commonly referred to as coronavirus). Although the tactics to keep away from this virus seem tedious, they are ultimately the best way to prevent infection. Here are six ways to prevent the spread of illness.
1. Wash your hands: This is one of the most effective and easiest ways to prevent the spread of the virus. If you cough or sneeze on your hand accidentally, then it’s wise to just go to the bathroom and wash your hands. It may seem obvious but it is a step that mustn’t be neglected. Before you eat, when you go to the bathroom, or when you touch something yucky, wash your hands.
2. Keep surfaces tidy: Our hands touch a lot of things in a day. No matter how much we wash our hands, we cannot always help with what germs go where. If you’re eating at the SUB or a lounge place, pick up after yourself. If you have a napkin that you used on the table, throw it away when you leave. If you spill your drink, wipe it up. Little things like this are not only good for preventing the spread of illness but also helpful for the staff at LCSC.
3. Clean your electronics: Your phone is perhaps one of the filthy things you carry around with you on a day to day basis. Not only do people carry it to work, school, or home, but oftentimes it’s brought to the bathroom as well. You don’t need to clean your phone every day, but it’s good to sanitize it every other day and take off the case to get all the grime that’s been building up out of there. Traces of E-coli and other diseases have been found on devices, so it would not be far fetched to say that COVID-19 could be living there as well.
4. Do not share food or drinks: This can be a hard one in some cases for people. They may not think anything of it, but sharing your food or drink is equivalent to someone sneezing on your face, except in this scenario their spit is directly in your mouth and vice versa with them. Next time you and a friend get a drink from a coffee shop and decide to let the other have a sip, try to refrain. Even if you use a different straw, you may still be getting backwash. You don’t know the germs that the other person is carrying around with them. It is best to stick with what you have and try whatever dish or food your friend got next time!
5. Do not get a mask: Masks can be helpful in some cases. They help prevent liquids from coming in contact with the face. Such as, if someone spat or sneezed on you. But due to how COVID-19 is extremely spreadable via droplet transmission masks that do not cover the entire face do not help prevent infection. While there are masks out there that can prevent the spread of droplet illnesses, they are expensive and only last for a limited amount of time. You should only wear a mask if you are sick or work in healthcare. But if you are sick, you should probably not be going outside, which leads to the next tip.
6. Stay home if you are sick: Similar to all diseases and viruses that spread, staying home is the best way to not spread what you have to others. If you’re feeling under the weather, let your boss or professor know and take the day off. While some cases of COVID-19 being deadly, the patients that have passed away have been people with underlying health issues. A lot of staff on campus and people in the neighborhood around us are those of older age, making them more susceptible to health issues.
Even if you believe that you don’t have COVID-19, it’s better for everyone, including yourself, if you stay home and rest. It ensures a speedy recovery and prevents the spread of illness to your peers.