Letters to the editor

Various, Guest Writer

Dear Editor of Pathfinder,
I feel that art is an important part of this city. Everywhere you go in this city you can feel the art and history of Lewiston. It feels like the city is neglecting an important part of its personality. What makes this city the way it is. I feel that there should be more involvement in the art of town and its community. I propose the city encourage more art to not only add to the beauty of this city but involve the community. This way people feel more connected and responsible for the place they live. Art murals could be done and while the Dogwood Festival is a nice event for the community, it is feels unorganized. It should focus more on the artwork, music allowing a bigger scale of artists to show off their skills. As well as involving the community in partaking in the art, like pottery booths where you can play with clay. This way people can explore the many aspects of art while also being able to do it themselves. This could give a better idea for people who know very little about art, but also inspire those who want to do art but don’t know where to start. I think this will leave a more lasting positive impression on the community.
Signed,
Caitlin Musick
Sophomore, English

To The Pathfinder:
As I grew up in the small town of Garden Valley, Idaho, I was surrounded by kids and families that were impoverished. The main reason these kids I attended school with and even children that were too young to attend school had to struggle day to day, is because of the substance abuse problem that swarmed my small hometown.
In every way my family could help, we did. I passed by kids younger than me and kids in my class in the hallway, seeing clothes of mine from years ago that my family had passed to them, because they needed them more than I did. Wearing shoes of mine and my sisters because we didn’t need them nearly as much as they did. I had collected cans out of my kitchen cupboards and gave them to the school quite often. All because in my small town of Garden Valley, Idaho, drugs were more important to the parents of these kids than buying them new clothes for school, or cooking them a hot meal every night after a long day of school.
I watched kids older than me and younger than me, drop out of school just to turn to drugs or alcohol. I watched good people, including family, get eaten away by alcohol and drugs. With no help, no fighting chance, these substances meant more to people I was surrounded by than their own blood. Being such a small town, we need a Boys and Girls Club in Garden Valley.
For now, in this economy, the future to build something like that to transform the lives of the people I grew so close to in the early years of my life, is not bright. What is more possible, though, is to create our own club organized by the school to provide activities for kids to help put them on the right path to a successful life.
As successful as a Boys and Girls Club would be, the likeliness of it happening is very low. I do know for a fact, that a small town like Garden Valley raises kids to be grateful for what they have, what they are given, and what’s to come. An opportunity like that and the effort gone into it would never go unnoticed by those kids.
I made it out of that town and am a busy woman. Maintaining two jobs and being a full time student, I do it all for those kids. I do it to show them that life on the outside of drugs and alcohol is so, so worth the struggle. But with something like a Boys and Girls Club could help them realize that they don’t have to struggle, and show them that everything is and will be okay.
It’s all going to be okay,
Sophia Cadotte,
Sophomore, Social Work