Warriors add six to cross country/track and field teams

Alisha Alexander, Reporter

Lewis-Clark State Cross Country/ Track and Field coaches have signed six student-athletes to letters of intent for the 2020-21 season.
Joining the Warrior women this fall are sprinter Skyler Beck (Reubens, Idaho), javelin thrower Karlee Frost (Eureka, Mont.), thrower Nina Hol (Hattem, The Netherlands), middle distance runner Geraldine Correa (Kennewick, Wash.), and distance runner Melanie Gianopolus (Kooskia, Idaho). The lone signee for the men is distance runner Trace Schulz (Boise, Idaho). Beck graduates this spring from Highland High School where she has been a state placer throughout her career.
“I think as she develops and gets stronger,” assistant coach Cyrus Hall said of Beck, “she is really going to surprise some people. We’ve had a couple athletes from Highland High School in recent years and they were all outstanding kids that represented our team and LC State very well.
Skyler fits that same mold. “She’s a good athlete. I like her as a 200m/400m sprinter. She adds
depth and competition to our long sprints group.”
Frost is a javelin thrower and graduates from Lincoln County High School this spring after a highly successful prep career. “We’ve been looking to boost our javelin profile on the women’s side and Karlee is someone we feel will excel at the NAIA level,” assistant coach Jacob Whittaker said of Frost, who had a season-best 123 feet, 9 inches as a junior. “She has what it takes to be competitive against other schools. I’m looking forward to seeing her compete at the collegiate level.”
Hol is making the trip across the ocean for her collegiate opportunity after she graduates from Het Carolus Clusius College with three years of club experience with AV PEC 1910. Whittaker likes the potential she brings.

“She is just the kind of hard- working athlete who can come in and make an impact on our team and our campus,” Whittaker said. “She is going to focus mainly on the hammer throw but she has demonstrated the ability to sprint and jump as well so we know she is very athletic. I’m excited to see what she can do.” Head coach Mike Collins was able to sweep Correa away from regional Division I NCAA teams to run for thw Warriors. Her bests are 26.50 in the 200 meters, 57.94 in the
400 meters and 2:13.85 in the 800 meters.
Gianopulos also will compete in cross country where she had a successful career for Clearwater Valley High School as a state qualifier throughout her prep career. As a junior at the state track meet, she was fifth in the 1,600 and eighth in the 3,200.
Schultz comes to LC State from Boise’s Capital High School where he has personal bests of 4:47.77 in the 1,600 meters and 10:34.24 in the 3,200 meters.