Questions about donation stations answered

Donation station located in LC State Library.

Michele Poirot

Michele Poirot

LC State’s Kason Seward has organized “donation stations” for students. Seward answered questions about the stations below:

Q: Did you always want to set up Donation Stations or was it something that was created when the food pantry became popular?

“It was a combination of both. I was looking at different legacy projects during my presidency in ASLCSC, with the focus that year being sustainability. As president, I chose members, about ten, from ASLCSC for the Legacy Committee.

It came down to three choices, the donation stations winning. The stations were actually just small boxes on the floor, but with the committee we came up with stations that are more accessible, attractive, and ergonomic.

Having the locations of the stations in places staff members can donate was important. For each station in each building,
there is a point of contact; someone who is a staff member, who is always here. Such as Michelle McClure and Johanna Bjork.”

Q: Is there anything you would change about the donation stations now? (execution, design, locations..)

“Due to the pandemic, I was no longer president when the stations were installed, a year later. We were at the final stages of preparing to install in the spring of 2020. I did not feel bad
about it, because I knew it was going to get done. I actually became Parliamentarian last year, so I was able to still kind of oversee the set up and re-evaluation of the stations, even if I didn’t really have a say in the new decisions.”

Q: What has been your sort of “moment” of “it’s working, it’s helping people”?

“Well, there was a really cool moment when we had just set up the station in the library and within 24-48 hours it was overflowing with donations.

Before, when the Warrior Pantry was in the Sam Glenn Complex, it was used quite a bit. However when it was moved to the Student Union Building, usage went up 200%, as said Dr. Hanson after a month of observation.”

Q: Any last regards? “I’m really proud of them, seeing them being used always makes me happy.”

Former ASLCSC president,
Gabe Mowry who donated money to the stations also answered
questions about his donation.

Q: What was your initial thought process that led you to want to donate money to the Warrior Pantry?

“I really respect what they do, and with the amount that we pay to go to school, it can be hard for students to afford proper nutrition.”

Q: Has the pantry helped you?

“Absolutely. I’m not one of great wealth, so having this option to still be able to eat has saved me hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars. And it’s one of the main reasons I’m still at LCSC and still standing.”

Q: How many times have you donated, and do you have a plan
of how often you want to continue?

“The money that I donated was actually from ASLCSC when I was Student Body President, but since I am not president anymore, I don’t have any say over donating. However, if there was ever a shortage of food, I’ll donate if I can. And I hope other students will donate any way they can, needed or not. Last year, ASLCSC made Donation Stations, six in total for students and staff to donate to the food pantry. They are located all over
campus, such as in Sacagawea Hall, Spalding Hall, Reid Centennial Hall, Meriwether Lewis Hall, the Administration Building, and the Library.

“If anyone wants to express the need for funds to go to the Warrior Food Pantry, or any other organization that is helping students, you can go to one of the ASLCSC meetings at the Student Union Building Tuesdays at 4:30.”

Q: Any last regards?

“I just want to say thank you to the Warrior Food Pantry. If anyone reading this has a surplus of food or money, I encourage you to donate it to those that need it.”