The LCBTQIA+ Agenda

Cassandra Arc

LC State’s Gender and Sexuality Alliance club had a busy couple of weeks.

A business meeting was conducted on the 7th of September in which plans were discussed for an event modeled after The Human Library.
Plans for a campus wide survey of LGBTQ issues were also discussed at this time The Human Library Queer Review was held on Thursday the 23rd of September.

Four members of the LGBTQIA+ community on campus volunteered their time to meet with and talk to any campus faculty or staff that were
interested.

These interviews were conducted in the WCC and throughout the day more than 20 faculty and staff members stopped by to check out the event.

Each faculty or staff member who attended had the option to meet with any of the four presenters for fifteen minute interview style segments. Faculty and staff were encouraged to ask questions about the LGBTQIA+ community and how to improve campus treatment.

The GSA hopes this event will lead to more tolerance and awareness of LGBTQIA+ issues among the faculty and staff.

The GSA’s monthly educational event has been postponed to Tuesday the 28th since two of the officers were indisposed and unable to attend.

This will unfortunately mean that Gayme Night for that Tuesday has been canceled. At the ASLCSC’s open senate meeting on Tuesday the 21st the GSA announced it’s intention to collaborate with ASLCSC on a campus wide survey of LGBTQIA+ safety, accessibility and awareness.

ASLCSC has stated that one of the senators would take this survey on as a personal project and that they’d communicate with the GSA shortly.

The intent of this survey is to gauge how safe and comfortable members of the LGBTQIA+ population feel on campus and how aware of LGBTQIA+ safety issues the general student body is.

Additionally the GSA hopes to learn about campus wide opinions and awareness of LGTBQIA+ topics in a more broad sense. GSA Gayme Night will be held on the second and fourth Tuesday of October (October 12th and 26th).

The next business meeting will be on October 5th. As always if you have any questions or comments please reach out to the GSA email at [email protected]