LC State Students take on Scarywood

Some+of+the+group+from+LC+State+posed+for+a+picture+before+entering+a+Haunted+Night+of+fun.+Many+of+the+group+drove+themselves+to+the+venue.+

Alyssa Smith

Some of the group from LC State posed for a picture before entering a Haunted Night of fun. Many of the group drove themselves to the venue.

Alyssa Smith

On Friday Oct. 22, Lewis-Clark State Intramurals department took a group of students to popular amusement park, Scarywood: Haunted Nights.

It was a very generous opportunity for students, both tickets and transportation (if needed) were covered. Hopes were high that the park would be less crowded due to the rain and cold temperatures.

Pharoah's Curse weaves guests into the haunted attraction.
Pharoah’s Curse weaves guests into the haunted attraction.

However, in true Idaho fashion, many people were out enjoying the terror and cold.

Scarywood is a short, three-hour bus ride from the Lewiston campus. Usually known as Silverwood Amusement Park, the entire park went through a complete makeover for the spooky season.

Spooky music, fog machines on every corner, and the smell of gasoline and fear all contributed to the fear factor. Making it almost impossible to see the paid scaring actors and actresses sneak up on you. And they will sneak up on you, no doubt about that.

Although the scarers and guests are not allowed to touch or harm each other, they are allowed to lunge, yell, swing props, and do anything possible to scare you.

They do not understand the concept of personal space whatsoever. However, seeing as they are paid to scare and intimidate, they were doing an excellent job.

Clowns hang as they greet guests who enter "Clown Town."
Clowns hang as they greet guests who enter “Clown Town.”
Deeper into “Clown Town.”

LC State students had bad luck on the newest attraction, Stunt Pilot. You could say it was the Curse of LC State.

Two students became stuck in one of the cars. The exact seat was faulty for both students, however it was different trips and about five to minutes apart from each other. This caused two temporary, but long, breakdowns of the busy ride.

For a ride known and made for speed and efficiency, it was quite frustrating for riders. The Stunt Pilot is a ten-person rollercoaster with only one person per row, where the ride never truly stops to load and unload passengers, unless there is an issue.

From what the ride conductors told park goers, the trouble was due to a faulty sensor. Both times, the riders never left the loading bay and were in no danger.

Scarywood this year had five haunted houses and nine scare zones. The most notable of the houses is Planet Zombie for the classic zombie apocalypse experience.

Clown Town is the most fun scare zone, however Crime Scene is truly the scariest zone. Some other popular haunted houses are Total Darkness, Pharaoh’s Curse, and Blood Bayou.

The last week of Scarywood was October 28th through the 30th.

A scary actress poses in front of her house after terrifying a group enough to run away. She cackled the tire time as she posed for the picture. (Alyssa Smith)

Some of the group from LC State posed for a picture before entering a Haunted Night of fun. Many of the group drove themselves to the venue. (Alyssa Smith)