Outdoor Adventures Program: An Interview with Jacob Crist

Ally G.

Inside many of us, there is an adventurous spirit that longs to explore and enjoy the beauty of nature. If this sounds like you, look into the LC Outdoors Adventures Program! To learn more about what the program offers along with their events and plans, keep reading!

Jacob Crist, the coordinator of the LC Outdoors Adventures Program is a recent graduate of the University of Idaho. Naturally with his passion and interest for the outdoors, Crist’s major is Outdoor Rec and Business. 

“The LC Outdoor Adventures Program offers a unique variety of wilderness-based, human powered, outdoor activities and discounted rentals to our students, staff & faculty, and community members,” Crist said. 

Crist shared his enjoyment for “outdoor activities,” and said that he has worked during the summer as a “commercial raft guide on the Middle Fork of the Salmon River.”

Re-established in 2002, the LC Outdoor Adventures Program “bought their first canoe,” and have flourished ever since!

“Over the years the program has added many new trips/activities and rental equipment such as rafts, kayaks, paddle boards, and backpacking gear,” Crist shared, “We encourage an environment free of judgment and promote self-efficacy learning.”

With a friendly and encouraging environment, Crist added that there are internal benefits that are reaped when embarking on these adventures in a group. 

“Each adventure seeks to create awareness of environment stewardship, develop leaders, and promote an active lifestyle,” Crist said. 

It has been a busy time for the LC Outdoor Adventures Program, and Crist shared some of the fun activities that they have enjoyed in the past, as well as their exciting plans for the future.

“Last semester, participants took part in hiking trips, kayak classes, skiing trips, and more, Crist said, “This summer, the Rental Center will be open 5 days a week and equipment rentals are available for students, staff & faculty, and community members.” 

There is also an event that they have planned that will kick off the summer with a splash!

“Incoming students will have an opportunity to get their feet wet with Outdoor Adventures during the first Summer Preview Day June 23rd,” he said. 

Crist revealed that there are even more adventures planned for the fall, so if you enjoy rafting or biking, you won’t want to miss out on the upcoming opportunities!

“This fall, Outdoor Adventures will be doing some exciting things! Our next big trip will be rafting the Salmon River on August 27th and biking the Hiawatha trail on September 10th,” Crist said.

Outdoor Adventures lives up to its name with year around outdoor activities, and they have multiple winter adventures planned.

Crist shared that “This winter students can also look forward to new skiing and snowshoeing adventures.”

Sharing his hope for the LC Outdoor Adventures Program, Crist stated that there is “big potential” for the future. 

“Lewiston is located at the confluence of the Snake and Clearwater river, which are two of the most influential rivers in the northwest,” he said, “This area has so many recreational opportunities that I am excited to share with students.”

For more information, contact the LC Outdoor Adventures Program at ​​[email protected], or call 208-792-2670 to join in on the action and adventures!