Progress report: Historic Spalding Hall nears completion

Hannah Mitchell, Editor

For over a year strange things have been coming from the windows of Spalding Hall, including the sounds of classic rock music, the thrum of power tools and a chute that allowed workers to pitch plaster, metal and wood directly into a very large dumpster. At last, the construction on the building is coming to a close.

After being stripped to the studs, the interior of the old faculty building was essentially rebuilt to allow it to continue to serve LCSC. The entire HVAC system, as well as the electrical wiring and plumbing, has been replaced.

Spalding was built in 1924 and is, therefore, a historic part of campus. While extensive repairs and construction were needed, one of the goals, according to Keith Bardsley, project superintendent with Ormond Builders, was to preserve as many historic elements as possible. However, many modern elements have been introduced as well.

“We were able to maintain the integrity of the campus design while providing a modern interior,” Tom Garrison, director of the LCSC Physical Plant said.

According to Garrison, the inside of Spalding has been “very much modernized as far as energy performance and creature comforts.” The new Spalding includes features such as LED lighting and temperature controls that allow each room to be individually made warmer or cooler. On the exterior of Spalding Hall, one modern feature has been added in the form of an exterior staircase that allows access to the South Wing.

Another change to take note of involves Clark Hall. While Spalding and Clark still appear physically connected, work was done to separate the two interiors even more than they were previously. This was done in order to make the two halls different fire zones, which means that if a fire started in one building, it could not easily spread to the other. As part of this renovation, Clark was outfitted with a new fire sprinkler safety system.

Once construction has reached the status of “substantial completion,” which is expected to occur within the next week, the Department of Public Works (DPW) and the architects will conduct an inspection and create a punch list. A punch list is made up of items and tasks that were not completed up to the desired standard. These items could range from a wall needing another coat of paint, to an electrical panel that was not wired correctly and therefore hazardous. Once the punch list is made, the contractor has 30 days to correct everything on it.

According to Bardsley, after the contractor’s role is complete, the school will begin its job of filling the building with furniture and working with IT to prepare the building for use.