LCSC wins several grants

Courtney Kammers, Assistant Editor

The LCSC Center for Arts and History received a grant for $2,500 to support their exhibit, “‘Town & Gown,’ 125 years of LCSC Campus and Community – an exhibit of celebration”. This exhibit begins September 6 and is available for viewing through October 27. This display will showcase several different mediums, from images and lectures, to films and artifacts. The center is open to the public from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. every Monday-Saturday, and admission is free.

Alongside the Center for Arts and History, the Career and Technical Education (CTE) Center that is coming to the Lewiston Orchards has also earned a grant. This building, which is due to be completed for the 2020 fall semester, earned a $100,000 grant from the Laura Moore Cunningham Foundation. This foundation supports schools in Idaho with over 450 scholarships to institutions and students. The new CTE program building will allow for LCSC to expand some of the CTE programs that remain on campus. The facility will be located close to the new Lewiston High School building, in the Lewiston orchards. This proximity will help foster a closer relationship and greater partnership between the two institutes, as Bengals become Warriors.

Along with this new building, LCSC received a 1.52 million dollar workforce development grant, encouraging additional objectives of the new CTE expansion. This grant was announced by U.S. Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross over the summer. The funds come from the department’s Economic Development Administration (EDA). Ross said that “the President and the Department of Commerce are committed to ensuring that American communities have tools necessary to meet the demand for a skilled workforce. This Lewis-Clark State College program will help provide critical training to ensure local employers have the workforce they need succeed.” The EDA makes investments to create jobs for U.S. workers. This grant is estimated to create 391 jobs.

The changes that are coming to LCSC and the grants the school has won are sure to have an impact on the institution and the surrounding area