SEL and Schweitzers contribute to the future of Career and Technical Education at LCSC

Back to Article
Back to Article

Hannah Mitchell, Editor

In a few years, Lewiston may be able to pride itself on a brand new Career & Technical Education CTE center, able to serve the needs of LCSC, Lewiston High School and the surrounding region.

The project was approved by Idaho Legislature in March of 2017, and funding is already well under way. Two incredibly large donations have already been contributed to the project. Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories (SEL) has promised $2 million, and SEL Founder and President, Ed Schweitzer and his wife, Beatriz, have promised an additional $1 million.

“When Dr. Fernandez approached us about supporting the new Career & Technical Education Center at LCSC, we were honored and excited to contribute to such an important project,” said Ed Schweitzer. “With the Center, students in our region will learn highly marketable skills that will allow them to fill critical positions for local manufacturers, a true win-win for both students and employers.”

The project will cost a total of $20 million, however, the State of Idaho will provide matching funds, which means LCSC needs to raise $10 million. The donations from SEL and the Schweitzers put LCSC well on their way to reaching that goal.

“Lewis-Clark State College is honored by and incredibly appreciative of this generous support of Career Technical Education,” said new LCSC President Cynthia Pemberton. “Facilitating educational access and success through meaningful community partnerships is impactful and important. This gift will help us, together, to not only empower individuals but our communities. Our sincere thanks to SEL and the Schweitzers for the powerful difference this gift will make.”

The monetary donation is not the only contribution SEL will be making but is instead part of a collaboration in which SEL will be working with LCSC to provide curriculum design for electrical technician training, and aid in the hiring of instructors and promotion of the CTE center throughout the region.

General donations for the project can be made to the LCSC Foundation at 125.lcsc.edu/donate.

About the Writer