Gardening goodness: LCSC has a garden!

Katerina Wiley, Staff Writer

Fun fact about the Lewis-Clark State College campus: it has a garden!

The LCSC Learning Garden had its start in the spring of 2015, and it’s been generating fresh produce ever since. Maintained in a large part by volunteers, the garden’s yield is primarily donated to the Warrior Food Pantry, though the herbs and raspberries are available to whoever wants to go pick them.

In the years of its operation the garden has also been host to lessons and research for various courses across the campus directory, including botany, entomology, and psychology. There have also been classes held there for children, such as Junior Master Gardener for the Kids’ College summer program, or after-school programs such as Kids in Forts and STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math) Outdoors.

Despite the classes, though, the LCSC Garden is always in need of more help. As said by Dr. Rachel A. Jameton, “There’ll always be harvesting and weeding to do. There’ll always be stuff to work on.”
Every garden needs good upkeep to be successful, and any students wanting to assist in the LCSC Garden are encouraged to join Life Lab, a club that, under advisement by garden coordinator Kayla Glaser, connects the LCSC Learning Garden to the Warrior Food Pantry. For more information, email [email protected]

If students want to keep up with the garden more actively, there is an Instagram page coming soon.