LCSC prepares for accreditation review

Adam Galliano, Staff Writer

Lewis-Clark State College will be undergoing an accreditation review October 29-31, as the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU) will be visiting campus and conducting interviews with students, faculty and school staff.

This session is chaired by Dr. Rex Fuller, President of Western Oregon University. He will be part of a team of nine individuals who will interview many key individuals and campus units. Their goal is to conduct a Mission Fulfillment and Sustainability Review, and the session consists of multiple open forums.

An accreditation review is essentially an analysis of a higher education organization (in this case LCSC) where a noted and respected organization examines a college or university to “evaluate product, service, individual, organization or system against established standards or measures. Accreditation is a mechanism that seeks to reassure external stakeholders that quality and safety standards are demonstrated.” This standardized testing provides documented information that LCSC is meeting or exceeding general standards of education.

According to NWCCU, their main purpose is to “recognize(s) higher education institutions for performance, integrity, and quality to merit the confidence of the educational community and the public. Our accreditation of postsecondary institutions is a voluntary, non-governmental, self-regulatory process of quality assurance and institutional improvement.”

All students, faculty and staff are encouraged to attend any of the open meetings on Monday, Oct. 29. The session will close with an Exit Interview on Wednesday, Oct. 31. For further information, please contact the Office of the Provost at [email protected]