LC Valley Loggers bring college football back to Lewiston

Adam Galliano, Staff Writer

Did you know Lewiston has its very own college football team? We do, and they are the Lewis-Clark Valley Loggers!

The team was formed in 2013, mainly because the state of Idaho did not, at that time, have a Division II (or Div. III) football team. According to the L-C Valley Loggers bio page, they are an “organization [that] was created to help student athletes, academic institutions and NCAA programs achieve their goals and objectives.” In a first-time event for Idaho and college sports, in 2017, L-C Valley College Football became an Affiliated Member of the NCAA, and is the only independent organization in the entire country to hold this status.

Although the L-C Valley Loggers team is affiliated with the NCAA, they do not have any direct connection to LCSC. That being said, currently all players except four on the Loggers team are LCSC students, so the educational connection is very relevant and thriving. Bob Thorson, Director of Lewis-Clark Valley College Football explained it clearly: “The Loggers organization gives student athletes the chance to play at a high level, and the program provides opportunities for students, their families, and the community to get involved with [collegiate] football.”

The Loggers football program provides opportunities for Idaho’s student athlete football players, who are not affiliated with any Division I schools in Idaho, the chance to play and perform on the collegiate level, where in many cases they might not have that same chance. This program also allows kinesiology and education majors the opportunity to learn from and get NCAA experience while working towards their degrees. LC Valley also hosts and offers youth camps and educational events to foster football at the grade school and junior high level, allowing Idaho’s young athletes greater opportunities for success.

The Loggers football team may be a new face to many local residents, but this organization has a storied history in the valley. The first incarnation of the Loggers was from 1946 until 1950, when LCSC was known as the North Idaho College of Education. The team played their home games at Bengal Field during this time, and their modern day counterparts will do the same. This Saturday, Oct. 20, the L-C Valley Loggers will host the first home football game at the collegiate level in Lewiston in over 70 years!

The festivities kick off at 1 p.m. when the Loggers will play the Trinity Bible College Lions. As an added bonus, the initial coin flip will be facilitated by Mark Wise, Board Member from the Nez Perce County Historical Society and Museum and the son of original Loggers head coach Paul Wise. Mark will be joined by 90 year old former Loggers player and Lewiston resident Harley Williams, providing a historical and communal aspect to the day’s activities.

Although the Loggers do not have a specific home field designated, they have scheduled games at Lapwai High Schools field as well as Bengal Field in Lewiston. Tickets are $10 for adults, $5 for youths/students, and for fans unable to attend, this game can be heard by tuning in to KMAX 840AM or ESPN 1400 PALOUSE and online at: Listentothegame.com.

For a complete schedule of the LC Valley Loggers football season, or to find out more about the Loggers, please check them on Facebook at Lewis-Clark Valley College Football or visit their website lcvalleyloggers.com