Dr. Cynthia Pemberton sworn in as LCSC’s 16th president

Hannah Mitchell, Editor

An audience of faculty, staff, members of the community and state board witnessed the investiture ceremony for Dr. Cynthia Pemberton Friday Oct. 19 at the Silverthorne Theatre. Pemberton was sworn in as the 16th President of Lewis-Clark State College.

Distinguished guests included Dr. Rick Aman (College of Eastern Idaho President), Bill Picard (Nez Perce Tribe NPTEC Representative), Norma Peone (Coeur d’Alene Tribe Higher Education Manager) and Dr. Linda Clark (Idaho State Board of Education President).

Members of LCSC Associations made remarks, congratulating Dr. Pemberton on her achievement. Speakers included Dr. Jenni Light (Faculty Association), Kevin Reynolds (Professional Staff), Kim Vogel (Classified Staff), Sam Weeks (ASLCSC), Darcy Nelly (Alumni Association) and Liz Chavez (LCSC Foundation).

When asked who would witness her investiture, Dr. Pemberton called up Nelly, representing LCSC’s past, Light, representing LCSC’s present and Weeks, representing LCSC’s future.

Dr. Pemberton expressed her gratitude and spoke about the history of LCSC and about the necessity of adapting to change. Her speech was peppered with anecdotes as she conveyed her awareness of the responsibilities associated with being a college president.

Afterwards, Dr. Pemberton’s sister, Theresa Pemberton, and her friend, Michelle Barber, gave remarks on Dr. Pemberton’s character and leadership qualities.

The LCSC Choir, directed by Dr. Sarah Graham, performed the National Anthem to open the ceremony, and closed with Des’ree’s “You Gotta Be.” Dr. Amanda Van Lanen sang the solo portion the closing piece, accompanied by fellow faculty and staff choir members.

After the ceremony, everyone migrated to the Student Union Building for a picnic lunch with Dr. Pemberton and guests.