Humans of LCSC

Back to Article
Back to Article

Humans of LCSC

William Alspach, Writer

Each week a student at Lewis Clark State College will share a small piece of their story. This series showcases an interview, an image and an opportunity to learn a little something about our student body.

Jake Ratchford: “My name is Jake Ratchford, and I’m from Kellogg, Idaho. I was sent to military school for bad habits and underachieving in school. My school counselor was the one who recommended I go the military direction. At first I was very overwhelmed, new environment, new people, a whole new way of life. Once everything got started and the daily routines began, I had to start getting up super early, paying close attention to everything said to me, doing everything by the book, and getting a healthier diet with exercise. At the start, I had no intention of changing. I was set in my ways, and ‘I’ll be damned if anyone’s going to change that by God,’ I thought. When you go to that place, that state of mind, nobody understands. You’re the only person in the world who gets you, and you’re the only person in the world going through your problem. It feels as if God reached into a bag of a million people blindfolded and grabbed one person and decided to make things tough for that person. And that person just happens to be you, or at least that’s how you feel. Is it really that way? Not at all, not the slightest bit, but it really truly feels like that. As time went on, I started to get over my stubborn way of thinking. I saw where my life was heading and that I didn’t want it to go there. I got out of military school and had full intentions of changing my ways, but I was still a broken, weak person. Where do you start? What do you do? I was stronger that’s for certain, but I just wasn’t where I needed to be. Not yet. This experience has led me to realize how important it is to have your things together and to be on the right path. I now go to school in Lewiston, Idaho, at Lewis Clark State College. It’s a nice four year school. Hopefully I can meet some new people and continue on this track, strive for greatness and have something to be proud of in a few years.”